Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Lemony Goodness

Do you want a simple, delicious, quick cookie? Ok great! Here's the perfect recipe for you:). I made these cookies per Stephs request and I'm really glad I did (Thank you Steph:)). They have the perfect amount of lemon flavor, are nice and chewy and it's pretty impossible to eat just one!

The original recipe calls for either agave nectar or honey. I happen to have a very large bottle of agave nectar from the last time it was on sale at Wegmans, so I used that. I still have some lemons left over so I may make a batch some time this week and use honey to see if there's much of a difference in taste. Also, half way through making these I realized with without the addition of eggs, these cookies are vegetarian (do vegetarians not eat eggs?) and could easily be made vegan with the substitution for the butter. More importantly it means you can safely eat all the unbaked dough you'd like! 

Chewy Lemon Snowdrops

You will need:
  • 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
  • pinch of salt
  • 8 tbsp unsalted butter, room temp
  • zest of 2 lemons
  • 2/3 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/4 cup agave nectar or honey
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 2 tbsp lemon juice
  • about 1 cup powdered sugar, for coating
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Whisk together flour and salt in a bowl and set aside.

In an electric mixer, fitted with the paddle, cream together butter, lemon zest, sugar and agave nectar (or honey). Mix until very smooth, about 3 minutes. Make sure to scrap down sides.

In a small cup combine the lemon juice and the baking soda. With the mixer on low, add in the flour mixture and the lemon mixture. Scrape down the sides and mix by hand to ensure that all ingredients are evenly distributed.

Roll the dough into balls, 1 inch in diameter.


Make sure to spray your hand with a little bit of cooking oil so the dough doesn't stick too much. I baked the 2 sheets separately, 13 minutes each.


Let cool on baking sheets for 5-10 minutes and transfer to rack. The original recipe has you toss them in a bowl of powdered sugar but I opted to sift the sugar over top of the cookies. Simply because they are still pretty soft at this point and I didn't want any breaking apart in my hands and...cause they look prettier this way:).


Now pour a glass of milk and devour these cookies!


Source: sophistimom

4 comments:

  1. These sound yummy, will have to make sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best. Lemon. Cookie. EVVVERRR!!! I am going to make these because they were so delicious and I had to share with greedy Mike and Emma.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah! That's ok because I was super greedy and kept most of them for myself:). Of course then matt ate practically all of them :(. I woke up so excited for a cookie and the plate was empty!

      Delete