Thursday, March 8, 2012

No Bake Energy Bites

For as long as I put off getting Pinterest, it's really paying off now that I have it. I've gotten so many good recipes and ideas! I'm sure without it I would find recipes just as well, but it really makes it so easy. I'm all about ease :).

I'm trying to keep healthier snack options in the house. Now that spring is almost upon us, I'll be taking out the clothes I packed away last fall....hoping they still fit me!

I found a recipe for "No Bake Energy Bites" and they looked like a good fit for a tasty, good for you snack. When making them again I think I will cut down on the amount of honey and maybe sub in some applesauce (no sugar added) because they are a bit too sweet for me. What I love about them is the endless amount of options when it comes to making these. You can really tailor it to what you like, and boost the protein, fiber and other goodness based on what you add.

Here's my version.

No Bake Energy Bites


You will need:

  • 1 cup oats
  • 1/2 natural peanut butter (no sugar added)
  • 1/3 cup natural honey (will reduce to 1/4 in the future)
  • 1/2 cup ground flaxseed
  • 1/4 cup chopped white and dark chocolate
  • 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
  • handful of chopped craisins
  • 1 tsp vanilla
Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl until fully incorporated. At first I was skeptical that it had to many dry ingredients to come together...but it does, just keep mixing:). 


I had chocolate discs that I roughly chopped, but you can also use mini chocolate chips (the higher the cocoa content the better).


Maybe my problem was just pouring the honey and not really measuring it:). I'll still reduce it, I'm a pretty good estimator.


Cover with wrap and let chill in fridge for at least 30 minutes. Once chilled, roll into 1 1/2" balls. Keep covered in fridge for up to a week.


I've been grabbing these out of the fridge for the past couple days and I'd say they do the trick. Just one of them curbs my hunger in between meals. They are best with a glass of milk:).


Since I had to grind the flaxseed for this recipe I decided to just grind the entire bag to keep in the freezer. Our coffee grinder worked really well and made a nice fine meal. Supposedly refrigerated  whole flaxseed keeps longer then frozen flaxseed meal, but I think the convenience of opening the freezer and grabbing a tbsp for my oatmeal is worth it. I'll use it faster then having to grind it each time anyway. I definitely wouldn't use it as often if it meant getting the grinder out and grinding up one measly tbsp at a time. 

Source: Smashed Peas and Carrots Go there for a list of great alternatives for ingredients:).

1 comment:

  1. Ugh, I have GOT to make these. They've been on my list forever... maybe after we move I'll get to it. Good to know they taste good!

    ReplyDelete