Monday, March 26, 2012

What's the Difference Between and Lemming and a Lemon?

One is a small mouse like rodent that lives in the tundra (and are mistakenly believed to commit mass suicide when their population gets too big by running off cliffs, thus the birth of "don't be a lemming"), and one is a delicious fruit!

Ok, I'm really grasping at straws here for a beginning to this blog post. This may not be my best segue ever, but I'm doing it anyway.

I've been loving lemons lately. So when I saw a recipe for Citrus and Olive Oil Cake I knew I had to try it!

Something went a little wrong when I made this cake. I'm not quite sure what it was? I may have not beaten the sugar and eggs enough, or I may have put a little too much baking powder in. All I know is my bundt cake did not "rise" to the occasion...but thankfully I didn't mess it up enough for it to taste bad. It actually tastes really good.

Citrus and Olive Oil Cake


You will need:

  • 1 tbsp butter
  • 3 cups plus 2 tbsp all purpose flour
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/4 tsp lemon zest
  • 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
  • 2/3 cup milk
  • 3 tbsp citrus flavored liqueur
  • 1 tbsp baking powder
  • 1 1/2 cups confectioners sugar
  • about 2 tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Coat pan with butter and then flour, tapping out any excess. Set prepared pan aside.

Beat eggs and sugar together in a large mixing bowl, on medium high speed, until pale yellow, about 1 minute. Add remaining 3 cups of flour, zest, milk, olive oil and liqueur and mix with a wooden spoon until combined. Add baking powder and stir in.

Pour the batter into the bundt pan, smoothing out the top. Bake in oven for about 40 minutes, or until a wooden skewer comes out clean. Transfer the cake to a wire rack to cool completely, in it's pan.

Mix together confectioners sugar and  lemon juice until it's a good glaze consistency. Pour over the top of the cake after it has cooled.


Cut yourself a slice of cake, pour yourself a glass of milk and enjoy:).


Source: slightly adapted from Around the Table





2 comments:

  1. Yours looks so pretty!!! Mine looked like that too. How did you like it with the icing? I totally have to try that next time!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh good! Thank you :). I really like the glaze on it. It gives it a little extra kick!

    ReplyDelete